We meandered through Hyde Park and on to the Buckingham Palace Gardens. The weather was perfect and the scenery was lovely.
Of course some of us had other ideas about what was most scenic. Mike spotted this car across the park and rushed over to snap this picture.
We also walked by the Albert Memorial and Royal Albert Hall. Asia, Africa, America and Europe are represented by beautiful white sculptures.

Voila! Buckingham Palace. Well, my house may be smaller but at least I don't have tourists milling around all day everyday.
Lunch was the iconic Fish and Chips bought at The Fryer's Delight. We got it to-go wrapped in paper and headed over to a nearby park and sat down on park benches to eat. Yummy!!
I'm not sure who started it--probably Geoff but thus started---"Pigeon Wars! Where humans fight with pigeons." The game went like this. Geoffrey and the grandparents sat at one bench about 10 feet away. He would throw a chip so that it landed at our feet. Then we would prepare for the inevitable pigeon attack. Then the girls (and superstar pitcher--Dad) would retaliate by throwing a chip at Geoff's feet and laughing while the pigeons mob him. Good thing there were plenty of chips with our fish.
The older kids really wanted to see the re-creation of The Globe Theatre. It was built about 750 ft from the original theatre and even has a thatched roof. This was a great tour and I'm glad the kids encouraged us to go here. I asked Geoff about the face he was making. He said he was acting in honor of Shakespeare.
Inside they were preparing for a performance so we could see them building the set. The theatre seats about 900 but has standing room for 700--modern day Groundlings. They charge only 5 pounds if you want to stand through the performance. The stage has both a trap door in the floor and a pulley system designed to lower someone down from the ceiling.
The Tate Modern is right next door so we did a very quick peruse of this museum. Hmmm, I do like some modern art but a floor full of sunflower seeds is not my thing. So we quickly left and headed to Hamleys Toy Department. Seven floors of toys. Grandma bought the girls all London bears at Hamleys. Here they are right outside of our apartment with their new bears--Scottish Bear, Blue Policeman Bear, and London Guard Bear.
1 comment:
Oh these are such fun posts!! I think I would have shown some serious nerdage and cried in the Globe Theatre. Very cool.
Post a Comment