Tuesday, May 3, 2011

England Day 7

The town of Marlborough was just so cute I desperately wanted to take a walk around. So I got up early, left instructions with the kids and took a very enjoyable walk through the town with Mike. There are two churches in the town, one on either end. One of the churches there was first built in the 1100s and then rebuilt in 1450. The main street has many cute shops and alleyways with more shops. I loved how the shops were not just geared towards tourists, but residents. Here is the town hall. I love the wood in the front. Reminds me a little bit of our town hall.


When we got back to our hotel I found all three girls asleep in our big bed. I was frustrated that they couldn't get ready by themselves. But then they all opened their eyes said "surprise" and pulled the covers back to reveal three cute clothed girls all ready for the day. I love my kids.



After a fabulous breakfast of pastries (croissants au chocolat, my favorite) and our choice of several breakfast items (Eggs Benedict for me) we headed south for a quick trip to Salisbury Cathedral. We drove by Stonehenge on the way down. What amazed me the most was not only how massive these stones are but how they are really out in the middle of nowhere.


When I was in high school, my family visited Stonehenge. At the time, we could still get pretty close to these stones but my understanding is that they have pushed the viewing area back ever further so we opted to just view these from the road.



It was really rotten of that truck to park in front of the cathedral and ruin my picture. It just doesn't fit with the decor.


Salisbury Cathedral has the tallest spire in the United Kingdom. I love everything about this spire. I love how you can see this spire from a distance, I love the stone work on the central spire and I love the smaller spires that reach up towards the main central spire.





After Salisbury we headed back up to London to return the rental vehicle and spend the rest of the day in London. Battersea Park was right by the car rental office (as well as our London apartment) so we took our suitcases and our lunch and had a picnic in the park. This is also near the Battersea Park Powerstation. My pictures came out a little fuzzy but if you are Pink Floyd fan you would know this powerstation from their album, Animals. Below is the park.


We spent the rest of the day viewing the sites that we failed to see the first few days in London. We also revisited the museums to catch a few sections we weren't able to see due to tired kids and museum closing times.


We walked along The Strand and saw Somerset House. The kids desperately wanted to play in the fountains. We attempted to find The Temple Church but instead found the Courts of Justice. It took up much of the block.





The buildings sure are old here. I'm not sure what is holding this building up. HOW is it still standing?


We took a train over to Greenwich to see the Royal Observatory. It took us a while to find and we were pretty tired of walking even before we saw the hill we had to climb in order to get to the Observatory. It was quite a view at the top though.








The area where they've marked the prime meridian was closed so we found our own on our GPS. While we were busy finding it, Reagan decided to wander off. Thankfully we realized it pretty quickly and Reagan had found a nice couple to help her find us. Stinker!








Here we are straddling the two hemispheres. After this we headed back into London, grabbed our bags that we had left at Victoria Station, and headed to the London Euston station to catch the Caledonian Sleeper train that we took to Scotland. We had four berths and four seats reserved. When we had called months ago there were only four berths left. It did save us some money as the seats were much cheaper. The older kids and I headed to the cheap seats and Mike, Reagan and the grandparents slept in some very narrow berths. All of the kids slept great, the adults slept less well. We had a sick baby in our section that did a bit of crying. Thank goodness I had my Ipod and headphones.


No comments: