Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Scotland Day 8

We went to sleep in London and woke up in Edinburgh. It was a bit overcast and the air was a bit moist but still no rain for our vacation. Mike and I picked up our next vehicle and we headed up north.
This vehicle had six seats in the back that faced each other. It might have been our favorite car but Mike did get in a slight fender bender and rear ended someone. Very little damage, mostly on the license plate, but it did put a temporary damper in the mood. But we carried on in our quest for. . . The Holy Grail. Besides, what would a quest be without a trial or two?
Actually our quest was to Doune Castle, the castle where they filmed Monty Python and The Holy Grail. Now this was a fun visit.


I just can't get over how green it was there. I love the look and smell of Spring grass.



Can you picture a flying cow or a flying Trojan Bunny coming from this castle?


The interior courtyard of the castle is where the wedding scene massacre took place. We decided not to recreate this bloody scene. Although the girls did a fair amount of mock sword fighting while we here. Reagan desperately wanted to buy the costume set with sword, armour, helmet, the works. Here's how the conversation went.



"Mom, I have to have this."


"We just don't have room in the suitcases for it."


"That's okay, I'll carry it."


"No, you can't carry this on the plane."


"Okay, then I'll wear it."


Hard to win an argument with Reagan. We ended it by my just saying, no. I know, I'm a dream crusher.



The Lord's Hall


Here is where they shot the scene with the prince and the balcony. Rachael and Reagan recreated the scene.



"But I don't want any of that--I'd rather--"


"Rather what?!"


"I'd rather. . . just. . . sing!"


Father: "Make sure 'e doesn't leave."


Guard: Oh, yes, of course. I thought you meant him. Y'know, it seemed a bit daft, me havin' to guard him when he's a guard."



"We're knights of the round table. We dance when e'er we're able. We do routines and parlour scenes With footwork impecc-Able. . . . (and Reagan's favorite part, which she does in a very low voice). . I have to push the pram a lot."



I asked Geoffrey to do the coconut/horse seen for me. He may have been a little less than enthusiastic--at least for the camera.
The view from the top of the castle was certainly impressive.






We'll end this quest with a word from the girls.



Next we headed to nearby Stirling Castle. This castle seemed to often switch hands between the English and the Scottish. It was also where Mary Queen of Scots was crowned Queen of Scotland at 9 months. She lived the first part of her life here.



Another magnificent view, this time from the top of Stirling Castle.



This building was restored to its original color--King's Gold. This was likely the color of all of the buildings at Stirling Castle.



They also had nice tapestries here. In one of the buildings weavers were busy making a new tapestry in the same way they were originally created. It was fascinating to see them work. Reagan may have wanted a knight set but I wanted a Tapestry to bring home. I decided to tell myself no, especially when I saw the price.


Tonight we finally found a birthday cake for Rachael and celebrated her turning 14.


No comments: