I think the blame can be traced back to Mike. But then, isn't that usually the case? Mike started running last fall. I was pretty impressed when he ran his first mile, then two and then he stayed at about three miles for quite some time. I did not have any inclinations to join him, especially since he was running in some pretty frigid temps this winter. About May, he finally got to me and I agreed to run a whole mile! I won't lie and say it was easy, it wasn't. I ran a few more times and it did get a little bit easier.
There seemed to be a running disease spreading through our ward at church. All of a sudden everyone was running races. I decided to avoid this disease because as everyone knows--diseases are bad! Well the young women leaders caught the disease and it spread to the young women. Suddenly Rachael had signed up to run a 5K.
Once two people in the family have a disease it is almost impossible to not catch it. I started increasing my distance. I made it to 2 1/2 miles and signed up for the 5K. I didn't train much over the summer due to my crazy fun food filled summer but I did start training again in September. Plus, I really HATE running in the heat--okay so I hate running in any extreme--cold, heat, wet.
Thankfully, September 18th was a beautiful cool day. All three of the Rogers got to run the Northeastern Big Dog 5K. Rachael did great and finished in 35 minutes and Mike and I finished in 28 minutes. All of us were also delayed by at least a minute before we could even start the race. Just too many people on the course. Here are a few great pictures of the young women after their race.

Now, at first, I was fine just leaving things at a 5K. But Mike was now running 10 miles. If he could run more, so could I. So I signed up for the 10K in October. I got up to 5 miles and then attempted a 6 mile run just a little over a week before the race. It was 80 degrees that day and I did not fare very well and ended up walking the last two miles. A week before the race I ran six miles for the first time. Then I got sick and didn't run at all until yesterday when I ran the Tufts 10 K in 63 minutes. I was still a bit sniffly and after about mile two the whole right side of my body hurt--sore right shoulder, sore right knee, and a cramp in my right side. But I kept running and made it to the finish line. I guess the next questions are, "Is this a terminal disease?" "Do I really need to be able to run as far and fast as my husband?" I'll answer those questions another day, because today I can barely walk.
There seemed to be a running disease spreading through our ward at church. All of a sudden everyone was running races. I decided to avoid this disease because as everyone knows--diseases are bad! Well the young women leaders caught the disease and it spread to the young women. Suddenly Rachael had signed up to run a 5K.
Once two people in the family have a disease it is almost impossible to not catch it. I started increasing my distance. I made it to 2 1/2 miles and signed up for the 5K. I didn't train much over the summer due to my crazy fun food filled summer but I did start training again in September. Plus, I really HATE running in the heat--okay so I hate running in any extreme--cold, heat, wet.
Thankfully, September 18th was a beautiful cool day. All three of the Rogers got to run the Northeastern Big Dog 5K. Rachael did great and finished in 35 minutes and Mike and I finished in 28 minutes. All of us were also delayed by at least a minute before we could even start the race. Just too many people on the course. Here are a few great pictures of the young women after their race.
Here I am with the kids right before the race. My friend Taryn and I started the race together--along with 8,000 other women!
1 comment:
You're awesome. I had no idea you were sick last week. I hope you get lots of hot baths, heating pads and TLC on those poor muscles! When's the next race???
Post a Comment